Wednesday, December 28, 2011

As If We Were Immortal..


Leonora Carrington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonora_Carrington

Today has been pleasant, this afternoon Anne, a friend visited us which was nice, good to see someone else.

Often the only person that comes round every week is my physiotherapist who comes here twice; we often can go weeks without seeing anyone else here.

In the late seventies when I worked for the gas board, reading gas meters, I meet many people, who saw no one.

Apart from the meter reader, every three months and the milk delivery person once per week, to pay.

I recall being very surprised at this as I had never considered the possibility of such a thing, of people being so isolated.

Amazingly this is happening to us now; I guess its something, that must happen alot more then I ever thought it were possible.

I never thought it would happen to me, but then again, I didn’t’ think I would be as sick as I am.

I just always thought that I would be fit and healthy and be able to look after myself.

Never considered the alternative but I think I am not the only one, I think its something that we all do without thinking, living as if we were immortal.

2 comments:

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

hmmmmmmmmmm.... isn't that the truth though. Often I try to remind myself of my humanness, to not take anything for granted, to be thankful for waking, home, food, mobility and go to the bathroom. Many laugh at me for this but having witness many with less I have learnt to appreciate all that comes my way, that stays my way and every moment that i am gifted with the ability to care for myself unaided.

I am glad you had a visitor, had i been close I would like to think i would have visited.

stay blessed. May the New Year bring you more joy than pain, more happiness than sorry, more laughter than tears and all the love you can stand.

peace.
rhapsody
http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix

Herrad said...

hi rhapsody,
i don't laugh i think it brilliant.
i wish you were closer to visit, i think seeing you would be wonderful.
i hope the new year will bring you much happinsss.
thanks for your visit.
love,
herrad